This page has moved to a new address.

The Mixed-Up Writer

The Rich Writer: The Mixed-Up Writer

The Rich Writer

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Mixed-Up Writer

A few days ago, I mailed off my latest manuscript to my editor, Gary Heidt. This is the contemporary YA, the one that takes place in Peru. Letting it go out the door was hard!

I think it's because, strangely enough, I believe this is the best book I've ever written. Sounds weird, but there is a strange sort of logic to it: as long as I don't show it to anyone in the real world, I can believe that it's The One that will break into publication.

Of course, I also had to fight the urge to drag it back into the house during a sudden attack of no-way-is-this-ready-to-submit-itis.

I think half of writing is learning to notice your thoughts, sensations, and emotions enough to pour them onto the page, infusing life into your writing.

The other half? Ignoring the thoughts/sensations/emotions that don't move you forward, so you CAN put words on the page.



-- Cheryl :-)

2 Comments:

At June 28, 2009 at 8:50 AM , Blogger Casey Something said...

Oh, I hope he likes it as much as you do!

 
At June 28, 2009 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

Thank you! I'm waiting anxiously...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home