This page has moved to a new address.

The iPhone for Writers

The Rich Writer: The iPhone for Writers

The Rich Writer

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Monday, June 1, 2009

The iPhone for Writers

shining_blue_1 I resisted getting a smart phone forEVER. Over the years, I’ve played around with the Visor (now there’s a blast from the past!), Palm Pilots, and phones with the Windows operating system—and none of them really worked for me. They were too slow, or too clunky, or ran through batteries too quickly, or they were too hard to synchronize with my desktop data.

A few months ago, after playing around with a friend’s iPhone and doing a TON of research, I finally bit the bullet and bought an iPhone. It’s pricey, but I managed to convince myself that it was a useful tool, useful enough to justify the expense.

And then I waited anxiously for buyer’s remorse to set in, because I’m just not the type to get that excited about a cell phone. I mean, I hate talking on the phone! What was I thinking?

Buyer’s remorse has not set in. In fact, I now consider the iPhone an extremely valuable tool for my writing life…and most of my reasons have nothing to do with the fact that it’s a phone and everything to do with everything else it can do. Because it can do a LOT. It lets me blog on the go, including pics; carry around more books than I could possibly read on a single vacation (which is saying a lot); record that great story idea while walking the dog…you get the idea.

Is an iPhone a needed accessory for every writer? Probably not. But for this writer, it’s a tool that’s been paying for itself!

More on my favorite apps for writers later this week!

:) Cheryl

Labels:

2 Comments:

At June 1, 2009 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have an iTouch (no iPhone service where I am). I am going to be very interested in seeing what apps you've found helpful! I mostly just use Notebook, but I'm hoping to find some new ones.

 
At June 3, 2009 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Cheryl Reif said...

I like the Notebook application--definitely use that one. Even though I'm much slower finger-typing, there are many occasions when I can't easily write using my favored pen-and-paper method. I hope my midnight app-surfing produces some gems for you :)!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home