This page has moved to a new address.

Sticking to it!

The Rich Writer: Sticking to it!

The Rich Writer

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sticking to it!

Sometimes, the only way to move forward on a writing project (or homework--as inspired by my homework-overloaded sixth grader) is to muster up your writing focus and spend a few solid hours with your pen. The problem is that many, many other things wait in the wings, ready to pounce the minute you sit down to work. It's easy to spend 45 minutes "working" and realize you've accomplished.

How do you stick to the work? Here are a few ideas that I find helpful (since I have a lot on my plate right now!)


  • Turn off the telephone.


  • Step away from the e-mail program.


  • Work in a room where you can close the door--and close it.


  • Get out of the house--fewer distractions attack in the library reading room


  • Prepare yourself with a water bottle and a snack (I like dried fruit or beef jerky) so you won't have to break for sustenance.


  • Bathroom needs? Take your work with you!


  • Post "Do Not Disturb" signs

I also find it helpful to start my writing/working time with a centering exercise. Sometimes I take an hour-long walk where I think about my project; sometimes I spend 20 minutes meditating with a recorded relaxation Podcast (check out http://www.themeditationpodcast.com/ for some nice non-denominational meditations for beginners;) sometimes I just take ten deep breaths. And sometimes I forget!

How do you find the focus to stick to your work? Find a trick that works for you--or try out one of the above.

:) Cheryl

PS--The bird? Inspiration for writing far from my daily distractions!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home