This page has moved to a new address.

Cut the flab!

The Rich Writer: Cut the flab!

The Rich Writer

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Monday, November 16, 2009

Cut the flab!

PB040092

I went running again today! This is exciting, because I’d been doing so well, slowly working my way toward running a 5K—and then I had a bit of a tussle with life, travel, and general busy-ness and fell of the running wagon for a few weeks.

Wow, that was a lot of metaphors to mix into a single sentence.

Anyways, my thought for the day was that running would be a lot easier on my knees* if I were about 25 pounds lighter. That became my running chant for the morning: Cut the flab, yes cut the flab! It will motivate me to choose apples over apple pie the next time I wander into the kitchen looking for a snack.

And, since I seem to think of everything in terms of writing, I wondered if the same idea could apply to my writing life. Is there any “flab” I can cut away that will make me a more efficient, more enduring writer? Any energy-drainers that I can eliminate from my life?

So that’s my goal for the day: cut out a bit of mental, emotional, or physical flab, because even if it’s not directly impacting my writing, anything that weighs me down makes forward progress a little bit tougher.

I’m thinking laundry might be the first to go :). That or the silly plant in the living room that won’t quite die** but never looks good. Hmm. This requires thought.

:) Cheryl

*My knees are the rate-limiting factor in my training—my knees conk out while the rest of my body is still happy to keep going.

**Yes, yes, I’ve tried. Trust me. I’ve neglected it, stopped watering it, haven’t fed it in years…but every once in a while someone takes pity on the poor thing and waters it and it hangs onto its pathetic existence a little bit longer. Sigh. What does that say about me, that I haven’t been able to throw out an ugly houseplant for three years?

Okay, dear readers, it’s decided: by the end of the day, the houseplant will meets its maker. I will no longer allow it to suck the life out of me! I will no longer allow…

Um, sorry. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming….

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home