This page has moved to a new address.

Interrupted dreams

The Rich Writer: Interrupted dreams

The Rich Writer

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Friday, September 5, 2008

Interrupted dreams

I'm having fun rewriting. This is the time when I pretty much know my characters, their motivations, and where they're going, so a lot of rewriting takes the form of cultivating the daydream state where I can watch and record the unfolding story.

The hitch? I have a sick kid home from school today.

It's kind of funny, actually. Every time I slip deep into the vision of a scene, he says something. This is after agreeing to give me 45 minutes of uninterrupted writing time, but I'm a sucker so we're in the same room, cozy on the big bed with two warm dogs and a pile fo fuzzy blankets. If I seriously want to write, I should lock myself in the bathroom where I can't interact with him.

I do want to write--but I also want to be a force of comfort for my sick boy. And that means I'll hang out in the room with him and write bits and pieces and try not to get frustrated. After all, he may be a distraction, but he's also my inspiration and encouragement. Next week, I'll get to dream without so many interruptions!

:) Cheryl

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home