This page has moved to a new address.

On Rewriting...

The Rich Writer: On Rewriting...

The Rich Writer

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

On Rewriting...

I sat down two days ago to put a lick and polish on Juggling the Keystone chapter 10--and ended up rewriting Chapter 8 instead. Rewriting as in ten pages of completely new pink and purple glitter pen text.

Is the new Chapter 8 better? Definitely. I have a much clearer turning point now (although now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it's turning point #1 or #2...) But this is why I have such a hard time predicting my rewriting time. Rewriting chapter 10 requires that I re-read chapters 8 and 9, to get into the flow and voice; and that makes me realize that Chirp needs a clear change of direction in Chapter 8; and then I notice that I need a really great dragon description and, oh yes, I need to add some sensory details to the scene....and probably none of that makes sense if you don't know the story!

It's a weird, circular process. Sometimes I love it; sometimes, rewriting grinds to a stop and I wonder if I'll ever get through. But I know this: the book is getting a lot better! It's turning into something I might love.

:) Cheryl

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home