This page has moved to a new address.

Rejection Remedies

The Rich Writer: Rejection Remedies

The Rich Writer

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rejection Remedies

Today's news: just received a "decline" email on one of my submissions. An extremely nice decline, but still. Bummer.

I hate rejections. Who doesn't? But we all know--intellectually, if not emotionally--that they're part and parcel of the writing business. When I started writing for magazines, I received plenty of those "Dear Author" letters. Eventually, they moved on to "Dear Cheryl, We like your writing, but...." and (finally) to the "Please sign below to sell your piece titled __________ to us because we love you!!" (Okay, maybe that's not word for word, but you get the idea.)

I'm working through the same process in the book market. First I received "Dear Author" letters; next I moved on to the "Dear Cheryl, this has some fun writing, but...." I know, it's part of the process, but like I said before--bummer.

Writing must go on, though, so what's a girl to do? Here are a few rejection remedies that work for me:
  1. Take 10 minutes to be sad (aka, hugging the poodle.)

  2. Remind myself of the above truths: Writing is a process. I'm on the right road and doing the right things. Be patient.

  3. Gifts for me: Raised glazed donuts work for me. Hey, I get to pat myself on the back for sending my stuff out into the wide, wide world!

  4. Gifts for my muse: I like to promise my WIP a few uninterrupted hours to play with a character's backstory or dream up crazy plot twists.

  5. Jump back into writing: The search for publication is a necessary evil (if you want to be published, that is) but it doesn't take away from the joy of putting words together.

  6. Share: Lucky for me, I have a delightful group of fellow writers who share disappointments and celebrations with me. Maybe I received a decline, but hey, one of my writing buddies just got a contract on her beautiful nf book!

There--all better. Have any rejection remedies of your own? Please share!


~Cheryl

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home