This page has moved to a new address.

Thursday's thing to love...other children's writers!

The Rich Writer: Thursday's thing to love...other children's writers!

The Rich Writer

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Thursday's thing to love...other children's writers!

Although children's writing is my first love, I do quite a bit of non-children's writing. First, it's easier to find non-children's writing jobs, and second, they tend to pay a bit better. (Yes, even artists need to eat--or, at least, their families need to eat :).) But I don't write for grownups simply as a matter of necessity. Grownups are (usually) the ones who discover and invent interesting things, like computers that can talk directly to your brain and duck-billed dinosaurs with teeth. I have fun writing almost everything, even when the writing is for an adult audience.

But I have to love children's writers. In my experience, they're seldom writing for fame or money or ego--or even because they're among the blessed or cursed who can't help but write. Children's writers tend to write because they believe in something with a passion. Take my latest project: I had the opportunity to work with author Linda Hannah Young, a writer who has used her experience as a music teacher to write A Note for Children, a book that teaches musical notation to kids (available through
http://www.lulu.com/.) This book is clearly a project from the heart--and those are the best kind.

Now, if only her book, A Note for Children, had been around when my own boys were learning to read music....

:) Cheryl

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home