This page has moved to a new address.

Thursday's thing to love about being a writer...

The Rich Writer: Thursday's thing to love about being a writer...

The Rich Writer

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Friday, August 3, 2007

Thursday's thing to love about being a writer...

...a bit late, but Thursday's thing to love is HEALTH.

Okay, I'm thankful for health in all areas of my life, not just my writing life, but when I'm so sick that I can't write I don't feel like myself anymore. Writing's so much a part of who I am, I don't know how to function when I'm not writing on a regular basis.

Of course, that was the problem: I wasn't functioning. I spent much of last week sleeping off what I thought was a nasty virus. It turned out to be strep throat. Have you ever let strep bacteria incubate for four days in your throat? It's not a good idea. Luckily, I eventually figured out that something wasn't right and headed to the doctor.

Even more luckily, I have access to the medicine of the 21st century. Here are a few more of my favorite turn-of-the- century "granny remedies" from Bleed, Blister and Purge: A History of Medicine on the American Frontier (Volney Steele, M.D.):

  • For purifying blood: drink a tonic made from rusty nails soaked in vinegar
  • For a cold: wear a bag of asafetida around the neck
  • For whooping cough: sip some owl broth
  • To restore energy: mix gold filings in honey and enjoy

Until later--

Cheryl

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home