This page has moved to a new address.

February writing blahs

The Rich Writer: February writing blahs

The Rich Writer

How to Thrive on the Writer's Road

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

February writing blahs


Is February a particularly difficult month in which to write? I keep hearing friends say that they're in a writing rut, that their prose is blue, that they're uninspired. I confess I've had a bit of a creativity lull the past few weeks, too, but that had a lot to do with the non-writing portions of my life.

For instance, I discovered the cause of yesterday's writer's block: I was getting sick. By noon, I was completely useless. Before that, one of my boys was sick in that really-pathetic-communing-with-the-bathroom-floor kind of way, which might also have contributed to my lack of flow.

I hate those times when the words don't flow.

However, I've noticed something. When I write for clients, I'm not allowed to take a break just because the words don't flow...and so, somehow, I write. I need to apply this lesson to my own writing. Sometimes, when I'm in a rut/uninspired/feeling blue, putting pen to page is enough to get me moving again. I need to post this quote in my writing space:

"I only write when I’m inspired, so I see to it that I’m inspired every morning at nine o’clock." — Peter de Vries.

For the days that doesn't work...well, maybe more drastic measures are required. You know, things like chocolate, creativity walks, and reading a dozen or so really fun books :). I'm willing to do whatever it takes!

~Cheryl

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home